The Signal Processing, Networks, and Systems (SPNS) research group was initiated in 2018 under the Department of Electrical, Computer and Telecommunications Engineering. The research group aims to focus on the development of fundamental theories, algorithms and systems for wireless communication networks.
CURRENT RESEARCH ACTIVITIES
- Design and Implementation of an Attitude Determination System for 1U CubeSat.
- Design of a Phased Array Antenna for 5G Wireless Applications
- Integration of mMTC and LEO satellite constellations for Massive Connectivity and Ubiquitous Coverage.
- Design and Implementation of a Digital Front-End for 1U CubeSat Software Defined Radio.
- Design and Implementation of an Attitude Control System for a 1U CubeSat
- Design and Implementation of a Multi-band Antenna Array for CubeSat Application.
- Design and Implementation of a Reconfigurable Metasurface Antenna.
- Design and Implementation of Passive Bistatic Radar for Low Altitude Targets
- Loughborough University
- University of Oulu
- Aalto University
RESEARCH GROUP MEMBERS
- Dr Bokamoso Basutli (Group Leader)
- Prof Joseph Chuma
- Leatile Marata (on research leave)
- Tshepiso Jacob (Master’s Candidate – Thesis under correction)
- Bokamoso Kebatho Ledimo (Master’s Candidate – Thesis submitted)
- Reuben Ramogomana (Master’s Candidate – Thesis submitted)
- Teddy Tumisang Ramodimo (Master’s Candidate – ongoing)
- Pako Moaro (Master’s Candidate – ongoing)
- Gaone Dipao (Master’s Candidate – ongoing)
- Kebonyethebe Ramahatlha (Master’s Candidate – ongoing)
- Unalido Ntabeni (Doctoral Candidate – ongoing)
- Opelo Tshekiso (Master’s Candidate – ongoing)
- Kesaobaka Mmopelwa (Master’s Candidate – ongoing)
- Baipaki Hikwama (Doctoral Candidate – ongoing
- Antenna theory and design
- Wireless transmission techniques
- Nanosatellite Technologies
- Machine Type Communication
- Ultra-Reliable Low-Latency Communication (URLLC)
- Ultra-Dense Heterogenous Networks
PREVIOUS RESEARCH PROJECTS
- NOMA, Auction and Blockchain Applications in Wireless Networks with Loughborough University.
- African Constellation Satellite Network (AFCONSAT) – Constellation for African Small Satellites
- K. Ramahatla, M. Mosalaosi, A. Yahya and B. Basutli, “Multiband Reconfigurable Antennas for 5G Wireless and CubeSat Applications: A Review,” in IEEE Access, vol. 10, pp. 40910-40931, 2022, doi: 10.1109/ACCESS.2022.3166223.
- Galefang Allycan Mapunda, Reuben Ramogomana, Leatile Marata, Bokamoso Basutli, Amjad Saeed Khan, Joseph Monamati Chuma,”Indoor Visible Light Communication: A Tutorial and Survey”, Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing, 2020, Article ID 8881305, 46 pages, 2020.https://doi.org/10.1155/2020/8881305
- Sanenga, G. Mapunda, T. Jacob, L. Marata, B. Basutli, and J. Chuma, “An Overview of Key Technologies in Physical Layer Security,” Entropy, vol. 22, no. 11, p. 1261, Nov. 2020, doi: 10.3390/e22111261.
- Khan, I. Chatzigeorgiou, G. Zheng, B. Basutli, J. M. Chuma, and S. Lamboratharan, “Physical layer security analysis of random linear network coding for relay-aided networks”,IET Communications, accepted in Oct. 2019.
- Khan, Y. Rahulamathavan, B. Basutli, G. Zheng, B. Assadhan, and S. Lamboratharan, “Blockchain-based distributitive auction relay assisted secure communications”, IEEE Access, vol. 7, pg. 95555-95568, July 2019.
- O. Makgetho, G. A. Mapunda, B. Basutli, A. M. Zungeru, K. Koodirile, J. M. Chuma, “Leaky Wave and Slot Antennas: A Survey and Comparison,” International Journal on Communications Antenna and Propagation (IRECAP), vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 1-18, 2019.
- Basutli, J. M. Chuma, and S.Lambotharan,“Network capacity enhancement in HetNets using incentivized offloading mechanism,” IEEE Access, vol. 6, pp. 39307-39323, 2018.
- M. Zungeru, M. Mangwala, J.M. Chuma, B. Gaebolae, B. Basutli, “Design and Simulation of an Automatic Room Heater Control System”, Heliyon, Elsevier, vol. 4, Issue 6, Article number e00457, 2018. DOI: 10.1016/j.heliyon.2018.e00655.
- Basutli, and S. Lamboratharan, “Auction based competition of hybrid small cells for dropped microcell users”, IET Signal Processing, vol. 11, no. 6, pp 695-703, 2017.
- Basutli, and S. Lamboratharan, “Game-theoretic beamforming techniques for multiuser multi-cell networks under mixed quality of service constraints”, IET Access, vol. 11, no. 5, pg. 631 – 639, May 2017.
- Ramogomana, K. Koodirile, G. A. Mapunda, L. Marata, B. Basutli, A. M. Zungeru and J. M. Chuma, “Review of microstrip patch antenna designs with array configurations,” in BIE Biennial Conference, 2019, Gaborone
- Diarra, A.M. Zungeru, S. Ravi, J.M. Chuma, B. Basutli, I. Zibani, “Design of a Photovoltaic System with Ultracapacitor Energy Buffer,” Procedia Manufacturing (Elsevier), 33(2019), pp. 216-223, 2019
- Elsabae, B. Basutli, Yu Gong, and S. Lambotharan, “Downlink beamforming design with simultaneous energy and secure information transmission,” in IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC), Mar. 2017, pp. 1-5.