Close this search box.
Biust Logo
        • Undergraduates

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Botswana International University of Science and Technology (BIUST)?

BIUST is a specialised University poised to widen national, regional, and international opportunities for higher education in Science, Engineering and Technology. The University is based in the Central region of Botswana, in the developing village of Palapye.

What sets BIUST apart from other tertiary institutions in Botswana?

BIUST is an international University whose focus is on applied research and producing industry-ready graduates. The University was founded to produce Science, Engineering and Technology graduates, the key areas the Government of Botswana has identified as key to economic diversification. The University boasts of world class learning, sporting facilities and highly skilled academics.

What are the programmes offered in BIUST?


  • BEng   Chemical Engineering
  • BEng   Materials and Metallurgical Engineering
  • BEng   Civil and Environmental Engineering
  • BEng   Computer and Telecommunications Engineering
  • BEng   Electrical and Electronics Engineering
  • BEng   Geological Engineering
  • BEng   Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering
  • BEng   Mechanical and Energy Engineering
  • BEng   Mechatronics and Industrial Instrumentation
  • BEng   Mining Engineering
  • BSc     Biological Sciences and Biotechnology
  • BSc     Forensic Science
  • BSc     Pure and Applied Chemistry
  • BSc     Earth and Environmental Sciences
  • BSc     Environmental Sciences
  • BSc     Geology
  • BSc     Pure and Applied Mathematics
  • BSc     Physics
  • BSc     Statistics
  • BSc     Computer Science and Software Engineering
  • BSc     Information Systems and Data Management


  • MEng/PhD      Chemical Engineering
  • MEng/PhD       Materials and Metallurgical Engineering
  • MEng/PhD      Civil and Environmental Engineering
  • MEng/PhD      Computer and Telecommunications Engineering
  • MEng/PhD      Electrical and Electronics Engineering
  • MEng/PhD      Geological Engineering
  • MEng/PhD      Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering
  • MEng/PhD      Mechanical and Energy Engineering
  • MEng/PhD      Mechatronics and Industrial Instrumentation
  • MEng/PhD      Mining Engineering
  • MSc/PhD        Biological Sciences and Biotechnology
  • MSc/PhD        Forensic Science
  • MSc/PhD        Chemistry
  • MSc/PhD        Geological Sciences
  • MSc/PhD        Environmental Sciences
  • MSc/PhD        Mathematics
  • MSc/PhD        Physics
  • MSc/PhD        Statistics
  • MSc/PhD        Computer Science
  • MSc/PhD        Information Systems
What are the entry qualifications?
  • BGCSE/IGCSE or equivalent is required for admission into Undergraduate study.
  • A minimum of 20 points from a combination of Mathematics and two Science subjects or science double award.
  • A minimum of 38 points calculated from 6 subjects which must include Mathematics, 2 Science subjects, English and any other 2 subjects.
  • All programmes require a minimum of Pass (D) in English and a Credit (C) in Mathematics.
What are the requirements for direct entry into second year?
  • A-Level holders and BSc year one graduates are considered for direct entry into second year.
  • A-Level holders are required to possess 3 A Level grades with a C or better in Mathematics and Physics, Chemistry or Biology (one Science subject).
  • BSc common first year holders are required to possess at least 40 BGCSE points and must have obtained at least 65% without resits or retakes as recorded in their BSc transcript.
  • Diploma holders will be considered for related and/or relevant programmes.
When is the deadline for applications?

BIUST usually starts accepting applications from the month of October and the deadline is the last working day of April.

What do I need to do in order to apply?
  • Access the prospectus and the minimum entry requirements on the website or request for the prospectus via email at
  • Create a user account and complete an online application form, attach certified supporting documents such as statement of results, transcripts and/or certificates, a copy of national identity/passport, and a copy of proof of payment for the application fee.
  • Further inquiries and request for clarity can be emailed to  
Can I study part-time?

Currently BIUST does not offer part time study.

I have not yet received my academic results. Can I still apply to BIUST?

An application will be considered incomplete without submission of results, and the decision to offer/admit an applicant, cannot be made on incomplete applications.

When does the academic year begin?

The new academic year commences in mid-August every year.

Can you give me an early assessment of my chances for acceptance?

While the University encourages early applications, decisions on acceptance will be made after closing date of applications.

After doing well in my second year with BIUST will I be given a chance to study outside the country?

All students studying in BIUST will start and complete their programmes in BIUST. The University has put in place arrangements for short term student exchange programmes. Students can contact the International office for further details.

Can I transfer to BIUST from another University?
  • Yes, it is possible to transfer into BIUST from a recognized University.
  • A prospective student will need to apply for transfer during the application period.
Is accommodation guaranteed for students at BIUST?
  • On-campus accommodation is not guaranteed and is limited to undergraduates only.
  • Continuing students are encouraged to apply for on-campus accommodation and keep their options open for off-campus accommodation.
  • Students are advised to contact campus housing to inquire about the next dates for application for accommodation.
Will I find a job after completing my studies at BIUST?

BIUST plays a key role in preparing students for the world of work through provision of services such as career advising, Industry visits, industrial attachments, and job placements where possible.

Is the BIUST allowance the same as any other institution?

All students sponsored by Department of Tertiary Education Financing (DTEF) to pursue tertiary education at BIUST will earn the same allowance as other institutions.

What Financial Aid does the University offer?

Currently BIUST does not offer any financial aid or scholarships to its students.

Can I pay my fees in installments?
  • All self-sponsored students are required to have paid at least a third of the tuition fees prior to registration at the beginning of the semester.
  • Should the student experience financial constraints beyond his/her control, they should visit the Finance Office for arrangement of payment plans.
Where can I get information about tuition costs?

BIUST Finance Office can give you information about tuition costs and related.  university fees. Fee structure can be found here

Can I visit the University before I apply?
  • Yes, prospective students are encouraged to visit the BIUST campus for a closer interaction with future lectures and career advisors.
  • Secondary school going students can contact their school career guidance offices to arrange for a visit to BIUST.
Will there be a BIUST office in Gaborone and Francistown to assist applicants who cannot afford to travel to Palapye in order to complete application process.
  • Currently the University has only one campus in Palapye. BIUST will advise prospective students as soon as it has a presence in Gaborone and Francistown.
  • The University encourages applicants to use the admissions email address for inquiries on submission of application forms.
How can I obtain a copy of my grades?

All current students will be issued with their academic record at the end of every semester, and thereafter academic records will be issued at a cost, on a case by case basis.

How do I update my personal information?
  • All prospective students who have changed their personal information such as a mailing address or cell number will have to contact Admissions Office at to update their records.
  • Continuing students should contact the Student Records Office at and submit evidence of change of record.
Does the University offer Student health services?

The University offers Student health services including a 24hr clinic fully equipped with a visiting Doctor, resident nurses, and an ambulance. Students may contact the Resident nurses at 26773154388/9 after working hours.

Who is allowed to access student counselling services?

 All registered students in the University may access counselling services for free.

Does the university offer any Student Counselling Services?

The university offers academic and personal life related counselling services. Counselors consult with students to assist with a wide range of issues. It could be academic difficulties, anxiety, depression, homesickness, sexual abuse, relationship problems, family problems and many others.

Do I need to pay to use counseling services?

Counseling is free for BIUST registered students.

How confidential is counselling?

Counsellors are guided by strict Code of Ethics which regulates the conduct of counsellors. Every discussion in the counselling session is kept confidential. The counsellor may divulge client’s issues to someone with their written consent, through a court order or if there is clear evidence that someone including the client may be at risk.

Can my counsellor deal with every kind of problem/issue?

No, there are some issues which are best handled by experts in specific areas. Should a student present an issue that the University counselor cannot handle, the student will be referred to external facilities for further assistance.

Are students allowed to volunteer on campus?

Yes, students are encouraged to volunteer in the student support services and outside the university through registered clubs and societies. See Student Services Office for futher assistance.

How long are the Degree programmes?

All Engineering undergraduate programmes run for 5 years while Science based programmes run for 4 years.

What are the requirements for direct entry into second year?
  • A minimum of grade C or better in Mathematics and any 2 Science subject from an A Level qualification and BSc year one graduates.
  • BSc common first year holders, are required to possess at least 40 BGCSE points and must have obtained at least 65% without re-sits or retakes as recorded in their BSc transcript.
  • Diploma holders will be considered for related and/or relevant programmes.
At what level can I transfer to BIUST?
  • Progressing students can apply for a direct entry into level 200 or an upper level.
  • Admission will be based on the number of relevant modules already covered.
  • Please note that all admitted students are required to study a minimum of 4 semesters in BIUST to qualify to graduate with a BIUST Degree.
When is the deadline for applications?

New applications are accepted from the month of December until the end of April every year.

Do you have online application?

Applications can be submitted online via

How do you treat applications from applicants categorized as those qualifying for special dispensation such OVCs and those living with disability?

The University has an inclusive learning policy where every capable applicant will be allowed to apply for a programme of choice. Applicants under special dispensation will be exempted from paying the application fee, however, all applicants will have to meet the minimum entry requirements and will only be exempted from an English minimum requirement.

When do you release admission list?

Admission list will be released 2 weeks following close of applications every year.

Can an applicant be assisted with early assessment of their chances for admission?

While the University encourages early applications, decisions on acceptance will be made after closing date of applications.

Does the University offer student accommodation?
  • The University offers single and shared accommodation on campus.
  • The University halls or residence have necessary basic furniture and facilities inclusive of free Wi-Fi.
Does the University offer scholarships?

Currently BIUST does not offer any financial aid or scholarships to its students.

Where can I get information about tuition costs?

Please contact the Finance Office at or call 2674931262 for information on tuition costs and related university fees.

Will I be issued with a record of my grades?
  • All graduating students and students withdrawing from their studies will be issued with a copy of their official transcript, free of charge at their point of exit.
  • Continuing students will have to place a request for a copy of the transcripts which will be issued at a cost.
What Counselling services are offered by the University Student Counselling Services?

The university offers career advice, academic performance intervention and personal life related counselling services. Counselors consult with students to assist with a wide range of issues. It could be academic difficulties, mental health, anxiety, depression, sexual abuse, relationship problems, family problems and so much more.

Are the counselling sessions confidential?

University counselors are guided by strict Code of Ethics which regulates the conduct of counselors. All counseling sessions are kept confidential.

How much is the application fee?
  • Currently the University charges P200.00 for local and SADC residents and P400.00 for applicants outside SADC region. The application fee is nonrefundable.
  • All applicants are required to submit proof of payment of the application fee.
How much is the Tuition fee?

Prospective students are encouraged to contact Finance office at or call 2674931262 for inquiries on tuition fees and requests for payment plans.

Will I be allowed to change programmes once studying at BIUST?

All students are allowed to change programmes during their course of study. Guidelines and procedures for change of programme are available at the Student records office.

Can I defer my admission offer?

Admitted students are allowed to defer their studies due to various reasons. All students requesting for deferral of studies will have to write to the Director, Registry Services giving valid reasons why they require to defer their studies.

As an international applicant, do I need a study permit?

All international students are required to apply for a study permit which should be valid for the duration of studies once they receive an admission letter.

How do I apply for study permit?

The International student office is responsible for facilitating applications for study permit at the Immigration Office for all international students. International students may contact the International office at 2674931233 for further guidance.

Is there any academic support for students with learning difficulties or special needs?

The University has a Special Support service office which serves to support all learners with special needs to cope and excel in their studies.

Can I apply for more than one programme at BIUST?

Applicants are given an opportunity to apply for a maximum of 3 programmes, but admission will only be offered on a single programme.