Botswana International University of Science & Technology Staff and Sports Recreation Association (BIUSTSSRA) was created as a multi-sport club, having as its main activities, football, volleyball and netball. The club was formed to create for members” a better quality of life” by offering them the means to participate in multiple sporting and recreational activities. Since its inception the number of participants in various field increase every year and our participation in sporting games locally and internationally became the prominent activity of our association thanks to our dedicated members.
- To organise, co-ordinate and promote the development of sports, recreation and leisure activities for members of staff of the University.
- To facilitate the provision of activities and services aimed at promoting mental health, coping and self-managing skills.
- To promote social interaction among staff members of the University.
- To organise and participate in charity and voluntary activities as well as social welfare programmes in the community.
- To cooperate with government agencies, companies, public, parastatal and private organisations, corporations and tertiary institutions in matters relating to the promotion and development of sports in the university and the country in general.
BIUSSTRA is a member of Southern African Universities Staff Sports Association (SAUSSA), which have membership of 19 universities within the region. SAUSSA is an organisation which promotes social cohesion, sports and recreation through helping universities to take their rightful sports and recreation place in the region, continent and beyond.
- Participated in SAUSSA games in different countries ( South Africa, Lesotho Zambia, Swaziland, Zimbabwe) within the region.
- Successfully hosted “4 University Games” in 2019, participating universities being the Botswana International University of Science & Technology (BIUST), the three South African Universities, Sefhako Makgatho Health Sciences University (SMU), University of Free State (UFS) and University of South Africa (UNISA).
- Successfully participated at 2022 BUAN Tournament and our football team scooped first position.
- Participated in various local intervarsity games
- Participated in various national charity walks.
- BIUSTSSRA Chairperson is the current SAUSSA Vice President (Technical).
Membership is voluntary and open to all members of staff of the University and its affiliated institutions.
saussa games 2022
The Botswana International University of Science & Technology (BIUST), the Botswana International University of Science & Technology Staff Sports and Recreation Association (BIUSTSSRA) will be hosting the 21st Southern African Universities Staff Sports Association (SAUSSA) Games billed for the week of 4th to 9th December 2022in BIUST Campus, Palapye under the theme: “Promoting Wellness, Unity and Diversity through Sports”. BIUSTSSRA is SAUSSA member university.
Sport, whether at a recreational, competitive or administrative level, provides a significant learning experience in promoting awareness of a healthy lifestyle, fostering leadership and organizational skills, building positive character traits and creating opportunities to excel. Sports teaching us some good qualities like discipline, hard work, patience, respect, teamwork, among others.
Member Universities gather annually in December with the aim of taking part in the recreational, sports, arts and cultural activities, and this gathering happens on a rotational basis among member universities. These games include; soccer, netball, volleyball, tennis. Chess, darts, pool and athletics.
SAUSSA is an inter-university staff sports association in Southern Africa, established to promote social cohesion, sports and recreation and to create mutual friendship and professional relations among member universities. Members gather annually in December to take part in the recreational, sports, arts and cultural activities, and this gathering happens on a rotational basis. The event is envisaged to attract more than 1, 500 participants from 19 (nineteen) local and international universities (Botswana, South Africa, Malawi, Lesotho, Eswatini, Zimbabwe and Zambia).
Vision: The Southern African Universities Staff Sports Association, through its administration, controls, and manages sports and recreation activities, promotes reconciliation, reconstruction and development among its member universities in the SADC region.
Mission: To help member universities take their rightful sports and recreational place in the region, continent and beyond.
Aims: SAUSSA aims to:
• To provide for recreation, sports, arts and culture development of staff in their respective universities and among universities in the region.
• To create and maintain a professional image for and about SAUSSA.
• To promote a culture of sports in member universities.
• To strive for excellence in all SAUSSA activities.
• To avail expert human resources in all SAUSSA activities.
• To promote mutual friendship and professional relations amongst staff in member universities.
saussa geographic coverage
SAUSSA area of jurisdiction shall comprise affiliated member universities from the following Southern African countries:
- South Africa