1. Information Collection and Use
In order for us to provide you with our services and to operate in an efficient and effective manner, we need to collect relevant personal information from you. The
personal information collected by us may include (but is not limited to) the following:
– Contact information such as your name, date of birth, identification supporting documents (including copies of ID or Passport), gender, and nationality and, email address
– Next of kin information and residential addresses
– Academic history and qualifications
– Company or business details( including shareholder details, company certificates)
2. How We Collect your Personal Information
We may collect personal information directly from you when you:-
– communicate with us (for example when you submit an application form to become
our student/supplier/ conference participant)
– register or subscribe for a specific service (for example, tenders)
– participate in any of our surveys
– register interest and/or request for information of services available (through our
online portals or other available channels)
– respond to any marketing materials we send out
– commence a business relationship with us
– visit or browse our website
– lodge a complaint /query with us
– provide feedback to us (for example via our websites or in hard copy)
3. How We Use Your Personal Information
– To verify your identity
– To assess and process your application(s) /request(s) Services
– To provide you with the Services you have requested
– To detect and prevent fraudulent activities
– To keep in contact with you and provide you with any information you have requested
– To engage in business transactions in respect of Services to be offered and provided to you
– To establish and better manage any business relationship we may have with you
– To process any communications you send us (for example, answering any queries and
dealing with any complaints and feedback)
– To maintain and develop our business systems and infrastructure, including testing and upgrading of these systems
– To determine how can we improve services to you
– To investigate, respond to, or defend claims made against, or involving BIUST
– To maintain records required for security, claims or other legal purposes
– To comply with legal and regulatory requirements
– For any other purposes that is required or permitted by any law, regulations,
guidelines and/or relevant regulatory authorities
4. Disclosure of Your Personal Information
As a part of providing you with o Services and the management and/or operation of the same, we may be required or need to disclose information about you to the following third parties:
– Law enforcement agencies
– Government agencies
– Other parties in respect of whom you have given your express or implied consent
Subject at all times to any laws (including regulations, guidelines and/or obligations) applicable to BIUST
5. What If Personal Information Provided By You Is Incomplete?
Where indicated (for example in registration/application forms), it is obligatory to provide your personal information to us to enable us to process your application for our services. Should you decline to provide such obligatory personal information, we may not be able to process your application or provide you with our services.
6. Your Rights to Access and Correct Your Personal Information
We can assist you to access and correct your personal information held by us online. Where you wish to have access to your personal information in our possession, or
where you are of the opinion that such personal information held by us is inaccurate, incomplete, misleading or where relevant, not up-to-date, you may make a request to us by contacting BIUST physically.
We collect information about your use of our Site from cookies. Cookies are packets of information stored in your computer which assist your website navigation by
customizing Site information tailored to your needs. Cookies in themselves do not identify the individual user, just the computer used. You are not obliged to accept
cookies. If you are concerned, you can set your computer either to accept all cookies, to notify you when a cookie is issued, or not to receive cookies at any time.
However, rejection of cookies may affect your use of our Sites as we will be unable to personalize aspects of your use of the Site. Links to third party websites: links to other sites outside BIUST do not apply to this privacy statement. We are not responsible for privacy policies of other websites linked BIUST. Please read the privacy statements of each website linked to BIUST for information and data use for visitor’s personal identification. Our privacy statement applies solely to BIUST.
8. Transfer of Your Personal Information outside Botswana (conferences and events)
It may be necessary for us to transfer your personal information outside Botswana if any of our service providers or strategic partners (overseas entities) who are involved in providing part of BIUST Services are located in countries outside Botswana or if you use Services from a country other than Botswana. You consent to us transferring your personal information outside Botswana in these instances. We shall take reasonable steps to ensure that any such overseas entities are contractually bound not to use your personal information for any reason other than to provide the Products and/or Services they are contracted by us to provide and to
adequately safeguard your personal information.
We have in place appropriate technical and security measures to prevent unauthorized or unlawful access to or accidental loss of or destruction or damage to your information. When we collect data through the Site, we collect your personal details on a secure server, using extended validation SSL certificate. We use firewalls on our servers. While we are unable to guarantee 100% security, this makes it hard for a hacker to decrypt your details.
11. Your obligations
You are responsible for providing accurate and complete information to us about yourself and any other person whose personal information you provide us and for updating this personal information as and when it becomes incorrect or out of date by contacting BIUST.