The Department of Academic Literacy and Social Sciences(ALSS)
The department teaches Technical Writing and Academic Literacy courses to undergraduate students. The modules are designed to develop the students’ Academic and Professional communication skills within the context of the specific needs of Science, Engineering and ICT students. The skills emphasised are those that are intended to enhance life-long academic and professional skills. The modules focus among others on Scientific and Technological Academic Writing, such as Report Writing, Scientific projects, Research Techniques and Written Professional Communication such as meetings, notices and posters.The department also has a Unit called the University Writing Centre (UWC) which provides a range of writing services to all students-undergraduate and postgraduate, as well as staff.The services are designed to help clients to improve in all areas of their writing. The UWC offers writing assistance through one-on-one consultations,tutorials and drop in sessions.It also assists different directorates within the University with proofreading and editing of documents.
- The UWC offers the following services:
- Report Writing (e.g. Accident, Lab, progress reports etc.)
- Preparations for assignment writing:
- Question analysis (e.g. identifying key words)
- Identification of relevant sources
- Pre-writing activities (e.g. planning & sorting out ideas)
- Avoiding plagiarism (e.g. paraphrasing, quoting, referencing and citing)
- Clarifying grammar, spelling and punctuation
- Draft revision
- Assisting students in addressing issues of:
- Coherence and cohesion
- Using well-documented evidence to support an argument
- Writing style and tone
- Research Writing (e.g. research proposal and dissertations)
- Professional Communication (e.g. application letters & curriculum vitae, résumé, minute-taking and writing)
- Oral Presentation Techniques
- And many more!
- Furthermore, the ALSS department offers courses in Chinese culture and language and intends to add other international languages.