The increasing demand of current and future technologies requires that modern engineers possess multidisciplinary skills in order to meet the evolving needs of industry. With this requirement, engineers are expected to design and develop machinery with computer and electrical controls from automobiles, aircraft, power generation systems, mining and manufacturing to health and safety systems. The programme is designed to produce engineers knowledgeable about and competent to employ new and emerging technologies that are crucial to maintaining modern society’s competitive industries.
The department of Mechanical, Energy and Industrial Engineering falls under the faculty of Engineering. Highly committed staff complement is key to the success of the department. The department offers five (5) year Bachelor of Engineering (BEng) degree programmes as listed below;
BEng Mechanical and Energy Engineering
Equips engineering graduates with fundamental theoretical principles and skills to design, maintain and deliver complex engineering solutions including power plants, heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC), heat exchangers, fluid machineries, conventional energy plants using coal, oil and gas and renewable energy plants such as biomass, biodiesel, solar and wind energy systems.
BEng Mechatronics and Industrial Instrumentation
Produces engineering graduates endowed with skills to design and develop machinery with computer and electrical controls from automobiles, aircraft, power generation systems, mining and manufacturing to health and safety systems.
BEng Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering
Broad based engineering discipline concerned with the development, improvement and/ or optimization, implementation and evaluation of integrated systems of people, money, knowledge, information, equipment, energy and materials. Graduates can expect to work as Production and Operations Engineers, Quality Assurance and Control Engineers, Supply Chain Engineers, Purchase Engineers, Technical Sales Managers, Production, Manufacturing and Industrial Engineering
Post Graduate and Research Activities
The undergraduate programmes above are also offered at post graduate level as Master of Engineering (MEng) and PhD, as pure research programmes. The minimum completion times for full time students are two (2) years for MEng and three (3) years for PhD. The department currently has three main research clusters which represent the main areas of specialisation
- Advanced Manufacturing and Robotics: The cluster pursues research in Laser, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence and Robotics
- Sustainable Energy and Green Technology: Pursues research in solar, biogas and other green energy technologies
- Product Design and Development: The cluster is at the heart of product design methodologies, 3D design, Additive Manufacturing, product testing and manufacture.
Labs and Workshops
The department boasts of state-of-the-art laboratories and workshops which are key to facilitating advanced research and enhancing teaching and learning. A glimpse of the facilities available in the department are as follows;
- Advanced Manufacturing Lab: The lab is equipped with latest industrial CNC machines (turning and milling), industrial CNC laser cutter, CNC Plasma Cutter, Water Jet Cutting Machine, Desktop CNC training workbenches, and Flexible Workstations equipped with SCOBOT robot.
- 3D Design and Solid Modelling: The lab is equipped with high processing power computers hosting state-of-the-art software for CAD/CAM/CAE which are key to product modelling and design. The software options offer complete PLM approach. Designers can choose to use SolidWorks® or Solid Edge® as modelling and design platforms. The lab is also equipped with MakerBot® 3D printers for quick realisation of the physical models.
- Materials Testing Lab: Offers basic and advanced materials testing ranging from tensile, hardness and SEM tests.
- Engineering Workshops: There are various basic engineering workshops in wood working, metal machining, and fabrication technologies.
- The Mechanical, Energy and Industrial Engineering department is one not to miss for those who take their professional growth and development serious! The same cannot be over emphasised for those who value long term partnerships and collaborations.