Student achievement and excellence is paramount if they are to become the best innovative leaders of tomorrow. However, that is possible if the inclusive academic and learning experiences are combined to enhance positive outcomes that would prepare students for life beyond the University. Students can also maximize on their career preparedness which will expand their scope and perspective of their careers which they would not only view as a series of jobs but as a positive and continuous transitional process of lifelong learning that leads to rounded growth and development. It is for this reason that among their top priorities Careers and Counselling centre helps the students to learn more about themselves examine and challenge their beliefs so that they are able to appreciate themselves, their efforts of the work they are doing as they work towards their degree. Therefore the mandate of Careers and Counselling centre is to actively assist students with a range of intervention strategies to help them recognize and resolve existing problems as well as learn how to cope with the current situations that might negatively impact on their studies and the ability to strive for academic excellence, further preventing them from developing complex issues. The centre also emphasizes on helping students to develop personal awareness to realize their potential and how they could excel in life. For the fulfillment of the careers and counselling services mandate to uphold and maintain the highest standard for professionalism and service delivery to students the staff at the centre are professionally trained to provide comprehensive educational and preventive programs to deal with students’ issues and challenges.
- Use aptitude and achievement assessments, to help students evaluate their interests, skills, and abilities.
- Evaluate students' background, education, and training, to help them develop realistic goals.
- Help students learn job search skills, such as interviewing and networking.
- Work with students to develop skills, such as organization, time management, and effective study habits.
- Help students set realistic academic and career goals and develop a plan to achieve them.
- Collaborate with lecturers and other University stakeholders to help students succeed in their degree.
- Contribute to mental health education and psychological wellness programme in conjunction with other university stakeholders.
- Student wellness project in conjunction with Health and Wellness Office
- Informative marketing services during: registration, orientation week
- Community outreach projects
- Relationship problems
- Alcohol and substance abuse,
- Life trauma experience,
- Psychotherapy using various modalities such as - cognitive and behavioral therapy
- Self-help resources (information desk) provision and availing of IEC materials
- Provide crisis intervention and psychosocial support to students post traumatic events
- Attend to any emergencies and offer short term solution focused therapy
- Crisis prevention
How Services are accessed
- Walk-in or on appointment
- Telephonic appointment
- Appointment by e-mail
- Group counselling
HEALTH AND WELLNESS
The Health and Wellness Office deals with the overall well being of the students. It approaches an individual holistically, that is the physical, emotional, spiritual, social, environmental, occupational, and intellectual aspect of an individual. Thus Health and Wellness mandate is to make students feel healthy, happy and engaged while in pursue of their studies.
The Health and Wellness office supports students wherever they are at in the development of life-long healthy behaviors.
The office coordinates activities that include Health education and promotion, distribution of Information and Education Communication materials, HIV testing and counseling; and promotion of safe sex.
The Main focus on education is mostly on the following:
Sexual Health (Sexually Transmitted Infections, HIV& AIDS, Family Planning
Alcohol and substance use The Health and Wellness Office deals with the overall well being of the students. It approaches an individual holistically, that is the physical, emotional, spiritual, social, environmental, occupational, and intellectual aspect of an individual. Thus Health and Wellness mandate is to make students feel healthy, happy and engaged while in pursue of their studies.
Nutrition and physical activity
Gender based violence etc.
Student health and wellness programs include:
Out of class health promotion activities
Halls of residence programs,
Health & wellness resource materials located at the Campus Health Center.
WHO SHOULD USE THE SERVICES?
The Health and Wellness office offers youth friendly programs and are open to all BIUST students (undergraduate and postgraduate). The programs are student centered, student led as thus students take part in program design and program implementation in order to reach out to their peers.
Students are encouraged to join groups like Student Health Ambassadors or form clubs in line with health promotion or health modification lifestyles. These clubs are meant to support students in efforts to maintain and improve their health, their academic success and to fulfill their personal dreams. Joining clubs also gives students the opportunity to mentor their peers and take part in shaping the whole health and wellness programs. Training is availed to leaders of these clubs, and workshops are provided as well as mentoring to assist with campus health programs and coordinate activities.