‘To undertake, promote and facilitate research and scholarly investigations.’
The BIUST vision is to be premier research-based university of Science, Engineering and Technology internationally recognised for the quality and excellence of its teaching and learning; research and innovation and engagement.
- to improve the quantity and quality of research using mechanisms of stimulating performance.
- to escalate the relevance of the scientific research
- to utilize all instruments available to increase the importance and weight of the scientific research in the university activity.
- to establish a modern management of the scientific research activity.
- to create a BIUST Science and Technology Park
The Office of Research Development and Innovation (ORDI) harmonize research through Advisory research committee with the regulation of the University Research Committee, a sub-committee of Senate. It is mandated to develop policies, guidelines and processes that are obligatory in the implementation of the University Research Strategy. It provide high level advice and guidance to BIUST Senior Management and the university research community on policies and procedures aimed at advancing research and development (R&D) in Botswana.
The Research Office has identified the following strategic focus areas as pillars of performance.
- To develop high quality research that can be transformed into tangible applications and products and provide research services and facilities that can support the needs of industry and society.
- To establish research groups/focal areas, clusters, platforms, and networks in priority areas as defined by the University Research and Innovation Strategy.
- To create an enabling institutional environment to foster and enhance the output of high quality research and innovation.
- To deepen the integration of student research (undergraduate and post-graduate) into the academic curriculum and increase post graduate research output
Office of Research, Development and Innovation (ORDI) offers support for funding of research programmes and the management of grants and scholarships. It ensures that all external funding sources are exploited effectively in support of research and technology development programmes at BIUST.
Pre-Award Functions, Include
- Training on grant writing
- Assisting with proposal preparation and grant writing
- Identification of research funding opportunities and partnerships
- Interpretation of sponsor policies/guidelines
- Proposal submissions
- Negotiation and acceptance of all sponsored awards and agreements
- Managing all externally funded sponsored awards
- Control of budget and expenditure
- Preparation of financial statements (advances, invoices etc.)
- Purchase of equipment and the management of inventory
- Travel and accommodation
- Project close-out with financial statements reporting preparation
External Funding Process
ORDI promotes research and sponsored programs best practices in grant administration, identify funding sources and complete required grant registration to facilitate electronic submissions. It facilitates research sustainability through the support and/or coordination of faculty development initiatives and orients principal investigators and staff upon receipt of grants. Furthermore, it oversees compliance with funding agency regulations and standards and ensures the timely submission of progress reports and close-out reports.
ORDI has subscribed to funding databases for opportunities to source funds from sponsors to support researchers, and the institutions research mission.